**COVID notice: Plant Identifications have been severely impacted by current Covid restrictions. We apologise for the disruption.**
The Plant Identifications Service provides plant identifications, with emphasis on the wild and cultivated plants of Victoria. Organisms that we are able to identify include vascular plants, bryophytes and macrolichens. There is a separate Fungi Identification Service.
The service is provided to government agencies, consultants, and the general public. Fees apply for this service. For further information please phone (03) 9252 2315.
The plant identification service does not provide:
- medical advice, although, we will attempt to identify plants suspected in poisonings
- identifications based on images alone
- identifications of agricultural plant cultivars
- identifications of wood and timber
- identifications of plant pests and diseases
- identifications of tree roots
- advice on weed control and herbicide use
- general gardening advice
- commercial recommendations, for example in relation to availability of plants for horticulture