Directions to Cranbourne Gardens
Cnr Ballarto Road and Botanic Drive, Cranbourne, (off South Gippsland Highway). Melway Ref: 133 K10
GPS - 1161 Ballarto Road, Cranbourne (Junction Village)
Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria at Cranbourne Gardens is approximately a 50 minute drive from Melbourne.
T: +61 3 5990 2200
Extra wildlife on our roads
Fine weather with higher temperatures sees reptile species at Cranbourne Gardens emerge from winter dormancy and begin searching the site for something to fill their bellies. Jacky Dragons, Tiger Snakes and Blue-Tongue Lizards can also use nice warm bitumen surfaces as basking sites to warm up after the chilly winter.
Please be mindful while driving in order to keep the wildlife toll down.
The best way to travel to Cranbourne Gardens is by car or private coach.
From Melbourne, drive down the Monash Freeway (M1) and then turn off at the South Gippsland Freeway (M420). Signs will be for Cranbourne and Phillip Island.
The next turn-off with signs to Cranbourne and Phillip Island takes you onto the South Gippsland Highway (still the M420). Take this exit and follow the South Gippsland Highway through the town of Cranbourne.
On the southern side you will see signs pointing to the turn-off for the botanic gardens and the Australian Garden. The turn-off is located approximately 500m past the Cranbourne Racecourse.
This trip will take approximately 50 minutes from the Melbourne CBD.
There are two options for cyclists travelling from Cranbourne train station to Cranbourne Gardens.
Option 1: South Gippsland Highway
Turn left out of the station car park and then turn right at South Gippsland Highway (High Street); continue for 1.6km.
Once you get to the corner of South Gippsland Highway and Sladen Street, there is a bicycle track on the right hand side of the South Gippsland Highway, which takes you to Ballarto Road along the edge of the Cranbourne Racecourse. Turn right at Ballarto Road and ride until you reach Cranbourne Gardens' main entry. The ride is approximately 4.5km to the front entry.
Option 2: Route to avoid shopping district traffic
- Depart Cranbourne Station
- Head north-west on Station St towards Fairfield St - 160m
- Turn left at Fairfield St - 210m
- Continue onto Tucker St - 400m
- Turn left at Clarendon St - 210m
- Turn right at McLaren Ave - 400m
- Turn left at Cranbourne Dr - 75m
- Turn right at Scott St - 400m
- Turn left at Cranbourne Frankston Rd - 270m
- Turn right at South Gippsland Hwy - 2.0km
Once you get to the South Gippsland Highway, there is a bicycle track on the south side of Sladen Street, which takes you to Ballarto Road along the edge of the Cranbourne Racetrack. Turn right at Ballarto Road and ride until you reach Cranbourne Gardens' main entry. The ride is approximately 4.5km to the front entry.
Once you enter Cranbourne Gardens, cycle along the entry road approximately 2km to the Australian Garden car park. There are bike racks located both in the car park and next to the Visitor Centre. Signs and maps throughout the Gardens show the bicycle loop around the bushland. Please be aware that bicycle tracks are shared paths with pedestrians.
The closest train station to the gardens is Cranbourne Station, which is the last train station on the Cranbourne line. From Cranbourne train station;
- Book a seat on the free daily shuttle. The service runs between Cranbourne Train Station and the Gardens three times a day, seven days a week and offers wheelchair accessibility and a baby seat. Bookings are essential and you must book each way.
- Take a taxi to Cranbourne Gardens (estimated cost is $15 – 20 one way, call Dandenong Taxis on 9791 2111 to book a taxi)
- Catch the Route 795 bus* and get off at the South Gippsland Highway/Ballarto Road stop. From there, the gardens is a 30 – 40 minute walk.
Note: The 795 bus only runs limited times Monday to Friday. It does not run on weekends. Please view the timetable information for 795 bus route.