Global Plants Initiative
The Global Plants Initiative project is a worldwide scientific database hosted by JSTOR.
As part of this global initiative, the National Herbarium of Victoria (MEL) has imaged Australian and foreign vascular plant, bryophyte, fungi, lichen and algae type specimens, enabling online access to scientists to easily view and compare many fragile and historically significant specimens as well as more recent contemporary specimens. Imaging of of bryophytes and foreign-collected algal type specimens is continuing. To date, more than 26,000 type specimens have been digitised as part of this project and 25,980 are now available on Global Plants on JSTOR.
MEL type specimens accessible on Global Plants on JSTOR represent collections from many geographic regions including Africa, Americas, Europe and in particular Oceania.
This project is auspiced by the Council of Heads of Australasian Herbaria (CHAH).
- Angharad Johnson (Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria)
- Pina Milne (Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria)
- Niels Klazenga (Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria)
- Alison Vaughan (Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria)
- Rita Macheda (Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria, 2013–14)
- Taryn Ellis (Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, 2011–13)
- Erin Batty (Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, 2011–12)
- The W. Andrew Mellon Foundation
- Atlas of Living Australia