Global Plants Initiative
The Global Plants Initiative project is a worldwide scientific database hosted by JSTOR.
As part of this global initiative, the National Herbarium of Victoria (MEL) has digitised Australian and foreign vascular plant and fungi type specimens, enabling online access to scientists to easily view and compare many fragile and historically significant specimens as well as more recent contemporary specimens. Imaging of Australian and foreign lichen type specimens is currently in progress. To date, more than 24,000 type specimens have been digitised as part of this project and 23,446 are now available on JSTOR.
This project is auspiced by the Council of Heads of Australasian Herbaria (CHAH).
- Angharad Johnson (Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria)
- Pina Milne (Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria)
- Niels Klazenga (Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria)
- Alison Vaughan (Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria)
- Rita Macheda (Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria, 2013–14)
- Taryn Ellis (Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, 2011–13)
- Erin Batty (Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, 2011–12)
- The W. Andrew Mellon Foundation
- Atlas of Living Australia