What does it take to run a Botanic Gardens?
This specially designed VCAL program explores the historical, cultural and botanical significance of the Melbourne Gardens whilst also emphasizing the career pathways that exist within the botanic gardens industry.
- Gain insight into the careers that exist within a Botanic Garden setting
Teacher can choose 2 of the following options for this program:
- Propagate a plant to take home
- Produce seed bombs and investigate other seed dispersal techniques
- Construct a shelter
- Work in the Kitchen Garden
- Measuring trees to calculate carbon sequestration
- Career options within the horticulture, land conservation, parks and gardens industries
- The role of Botanic Gardens
- The indigenous history of the site
- Royal Botanic Gardens history and design
- RBGV organisation structure and career opportunities
- Volunteer opportunities – guided walks, children garden, observatory tours
- VCAL – Work related skills and personal development skills