Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria has a large number of volunteers who donate their time, skills, expertise and energy to the organisation. Volunteers comprise people of different ages, cultural backgrounds and professions. If you want to join our passionate team of volunteers you may consider the following range of opportunities at the Gardens or with the associated groups listed below.
Volunteering at Melbourne Gardens
- Voluntary Guides lead visitors through the Gardens on guided walks and conduct special interest walks on a variety of topics. Applications for new volunteers are now closed.
- The Ian Potter Foundation Children’s Garden Volunteers are involved with horticultural duties and in assisting with various children's programs throughout the school holidays and school term. Applications for new volunteers are now closed.
- Garden Ambassadors have a passion for Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria's Melbourne Gardens and all it stands for. They greatly enhance the visitor experience by informing and engaging with visitors on a one to one basis, through various seasonal activities and special events. Applications for new volunteers are now closed.
- Herbarium Volunteers mount plant specimens and assist with other curatorial tasks for the State Botanical Collection at the National Herbarium of Victoria. They also work on scientific projects such as Fungimap and the Victorian Conservation Seedbank based at Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria (MEL), which is part of the Millennium Seed Bank Project at the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew.
Please note we currently have a waiting list for people wanting to volunteer. If you would like to add your name to the waiting list or for more information please contact the Co-ordinator, Erin Batty on 03 9252 2380 or via email.
- Herbarium Library Volunteers work on specific research and cataloguing projects, and on general library tasks. For information on the Herbarium Volunteers, contact the Co-ordinator, Erin Batty on 03 9252 2380 or via email.
Volunteering at Cranbourne Gardens
- Garden Ambassadors have a passion for the Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria at Cranbourne Gardens, in particular the Australian Garden. They greatly enhance the visitor experience by informing and engaging with visitors on a one to one basis, through various seasonal activities and special events, and via the provision of guided tours of the Australian Garden. For further information or to express interest in the next intake contact the Volunteers & Friends Coordinator, Fiona O’Loghlin on 03 5990 2260 or via email.
Other ways to volunteer
The following associated groups are recognised by Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria as being affiliated with the organisation: