The Growing Friends propagate a great variety Australian native plants that have been sourced from the Gardens. The plants are grown from cuttings and seed, mostly supplied by the Gardens gardening staff.
Plants are used for educational purposes, and for raising funds for selected projects for the Gardens:
- small plants are grown as ‘give-aways’ to school students visiting the Gardens (organised by the Gardens Education Services).
- regular plant sales are held at the Nursery throughout the year with special days for Friends and staff, and separate days for the general public.
- the City of Casey purchases plants from the Growing Friends for their ‘Green Web’ revegetation program in the Casey and Cardinia area, and as ‘give-aways’ for Arbor Week.
Working together, as well as having morning tea and lunch together, in a natural open-air setting, accompanied by the sounds of local birds, is a very enjoyable and healthy activity.
When we meet
The Growing Friends meet at our nursery, adjacent to the RBG Cranbourne depot, from 10am to 2pm:
- on the 3rd Wednesday of the month and (for those who wish to)
- on each Thursday of the month (excepting the week of the Wednesday meeting).
All are welcome. For enquiries contact:
Three plant sales have taken place since the last Naturelink, with the most recent one being the spring sale weekend, which took place in the Ian Potter Precinct of the just-opened gorgeous new Australian Garden Stage 2. It was a sunny, festive affair and our sale was well attended. Prior to this we had the weekend for Open Gardens Australia in early September in yet another gorgeous garden. And in August we held the winter sale, which too was hugely successful.
Now we have to get busy for the autumn sale in March for which we have a variety of acacias ready; Acacia adunca, A. alata, A. beckerii, A.binerva, A.calamifolia, A. chrysocephala, A. cultriformis, A. glaucoptera, A. imbricata, A. lanigera, A. ligulata, A. oxycedrus, A. spectabilis and A. stenophylla. If you are interested in any of these new acacias we can put some aside for you, or come to the sale.
Autumn Plant Sale
Friends Members and Staff
Wednesday 20 March
Saturday 23 & Sunday 24 March
Last updated 03 Dec 2012