The Royal Botanic Gardens has a large number of volunteers who donate their time, skills, expertise and energy to the organisation. Volunteers comprise people of different ages, cultural backgrounds and professions. If you want to join our passionate team of volunteers you may consider the following range of opportunities at the Gardens or with the associated groups listed below.
Volunteering at the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne
- Voluntary Guides lead visitors through the Gardens on guided walks. For information on the Melbourne Gardens Voluntary Guides contact Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne on (03) 9252 2300 or email reception.
- The Ian Potter Foundation Children’s Garden Volunteers are involved with horticultural duties and in assisting with various programs. For information on The Ian Potter Foundation Children’s Garden Volunteers contact Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne (03) 9252 2300 or email reception.
- Garden Ambassadors have a passion for the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne and all it stands for. Informing and engaging visitors experience through provision of visitor information and interpretation activities. Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne (03) 9252 2300 or email reception.
- Herbarium Volunteers mount plant specimens and assist with other curatorial tasks for the National Herbarium of Victoria collection. They also work on scientific projects such as Fungimap and the Victorian Conservation Seedbank based at Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, which is part of the Millennium Seed Bank Project at the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew. For information on the Herbarium Volunteers, contact the Co-ordinator, Judy Ryan on (03) 9252 2380 or via email.
- Herbarium Library Volunteers work on specific research and cataloguing projects, and on general library tasks. For information on the Herbarium Volunteers, contact the Co-ordinator, Judy Ryan on (03) 9252 2380 or via email.
Volunteering at the Royal Botanic Gardens Cranbourne
Other ways to volunteer
The following associated groups are recognised by the Royal Botanic Gardens as being affiliated with the organisation:
- Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens Cranbourne
- Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne
- Astronomical Society of Victoria (ASV)
- Garden Plant Conservation Association of Australia
- Plant Craft Cottage